Pages

Sunday 15 January 2012

5 Misconceptions About Building a Computer vs. Buying One Pre-Built

The reason that big companies like Dell and HP are able to make money is due to the fact that the general population do not realize that they could easily build themselves a desktop computer with more performance and at a better price than these companies. AND it's no harder than assembling a bookshelf from Ikea!  In the following article I'm going to cover some of the misconceptions attached with building your own computer.


  1. It's not worth it. Ill save money buying a pre-built system from Dell. WRONG.                                    You sir could not be more wrong. Maybe if you are looking at buying a 300$ desktop from Best Buy. However, I'm talking about building a more expensive computer. Let's say in the 800-1200$ range. Something that can play games very well, is great for watching movies, can edit videos, maybe some photo editing and is really good at multitasking. Considering that this Dell Alienware Aurora costs over 2000$ what would you say if I told you my computer could out perform it in any game. You tell me I was wrong right? Well I'm not. By being able to choose each part specifically that I want, I'm able to squeeze the maximum performance/$ I spend. If you want to see my exact specs and prices for my rig check out my article about it.
  2. I don't know what to choose. Which parts are good? What do I really need.                               Now this may require some research on your part. You need to sit down and decide what you want this computer your building to be able to do and what your budget. Simply entering " Best computer part list under XXX$" on google should provide you with and ample amount of  part lists. You can also check out my parts/price list for my current computer. If you're completely lost at this step and realise you only want a computer for e-mail and facebook you may just want to consider buying a tablet. However you must consider the state of tablets at the moment. For more on this check out my article on the matter. 
  3. It's to hard. I don't know what I'd doing. I don't know what to put where.                                                                                            This is something you shouldn't be to worried about. Just make sure you don't work on a carpet. Buy one of those anti static wrist bands if you are really paranoid. However, simply working on a bare counter or table should keep you safe enough from zapping any components with static electricity. As I said before, assembling a computer is no harder than assembling a bookshelf. Just follow the instructions with the parts your bought. If you're still not confident you know exactly what you're doing youtube will be your friend. There are hundreds upon hundreds of tutorials on assembling computers on youtube. Just pick one with a lot of views and post any questions you have in the comments and someone is bound to give you a few words of advice.
  4. Building a computer requires tons of tools I don't have.                                                               Wrong. All you need is your hands and a screw driver. Most of the pieces just snap together like legos!
  5. If I build it myself nothing is under warranty!                                                                                              Wrong again! All the pieces you have have a warranty. As long as you don't stab your motherboard with a knife you should be able to get it replaced if it fries. My motherboard has a 5 year warranty. I probably won't even own it in 5 years so everything should be under warranty individually to the manufacturer. Just not as a complete system. If something breaks you just need to identify the problem. Remove the broken hardware and send it in to get replace and VOILA!
Hope this helps clear up some peoples concerns about building a computer themselves to save money! If you have any questions feel free to comment below and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

6 comments:

  1. Julian; I agree with this post; I am kind of a techy myself and have built several of my previous computers. This is a nice blog also; I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I have built a few PC's in the past, but it's been more than a few years. I am a little concerned about the need for greater cooling solutions in today's PC's. I see these systems with liquid cooling and wonder how to determine at what point something like that is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you really want a simple water cooling system look at the cool-it units or the corsair H50 , H70 or H100. There all in one CPU only liquid coolers that are all one unit and you never have to refill. And if i remember correctly there under 100$ to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Julian! In my opinion, the choice between buying a new PC and upgrading your existing one boils down to what you need and your budget. An upgrade can help you up the performance of your PC without spending too much. This is ideal if you don’t need a drastic change on your PC. In contrast, buying may entail replacing the whole unit along with the entire system. This is applicable if you want a total overhaul of your PC.[Benita Bolland]

    ReplyDelete
  6. and at a better price than these companies. AND it's no harder than assembling a bookshelf from Ikea! In the following article I'm going to cover some of the misconceptions attached with building your own computer. Best buy computers

    ReplyDelete